Old 27-05-2008, 12:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default Recommendation to get rid of small yellowjacket nest

Father Haskell wrote in

oups.com:

On May 26, 1:25 pm, Link wrote:
Hello,

I have a yellowjacket next forming under one of the eves
on my house. It's still small, so I'm looking for some
recommendations to get rid of it. I put up a bee killer
thing (those yellow cylindrical things), and it's
caught/killed a couple, but the nest is still guarded by
more bees than I feel comfortable taking on myself. I
*could* knock it down with a stick, but then I'd be chased
by angry yellowjackets. Is there some liquid I can spray
on them that'll kill them (like vinegar or something)?
Thanks! --
-L

This is the nest that typically ends up like a
big upside down plate come summer? It's a paper
wasp nest, not a yellow jacket nest -- the latter
species builds nests underground, or in junk or logs
on the ground. Paper wasps are nonagressive,
do not readily attack, and are beneficial predators.
No reason to evict them unless they're located
very near human traffic. If so, take them down
with a garden hose.

there are arboreal yellowjackets, which build their nests in
trees or under eaves. they appear nonaggressive until late
summer, & then they become *very* aggressive.
i agree that paper wasps should be left alone, but
yellowjackets are an introduced pest & killing them is a good
idea (especially if you want to be within 100 yards of the
nest at any time)
lee

--
Last night while sitting in my chair