Old 27-05-2008, 10:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz Pat Kiewicz is offline

Default Sweetcorn issues?

Freedom_Spark said:

Hi again, just when I thought my first ever veggie garden was going well
(well the lettuce, garlic, onions, radishes, corgettes & tomatoes any
way) I had time to take a proper look at my corn seedlings today &
they're not looking to good, they haven't grown much since they were
planted out & they aren't a v. healthy looking colour (v. slight
scorched appearance) Is there anything I could be doing wrong? They are
watered quite alot however, someone told me that corn doesn't need a
huge amount of water at this stage. I planted a Suttons variety called
Sundance & I live in Ireland which does not have very warm summer
temperatures.

Any advice welcome?

If you have seed left, you could try planting it directly.

Corn will yellow a bit if the weather is too cold (due nitrogen being
less available), but "scorched appearance" suggests that maybe your
transplants weren't fully hardened off when they were set out.
(Plants can actually get sunburned if they are rushed out from indoors
to outdoors too fast.)

Backing off on the watering might be a good idea, too (as long as
the soil is moist an inch or so down).

My second planting of corn is sprouted and the third is in. Three more
to go! I'm running just a tad behind. May has been much cooler than
normal.

After enlightenment, the laundry.