Old 27-05-2008, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Carrot Fly

On May 27, 12:02 am, "Derek"
wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...

On May 26, 9:42 pm, "John T" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in

On May 26, 7:46 pm, Sandy wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
Bromophos is no longer available, so I am told, what do others do to
control it?

Judith

Plant marigolds (tagetes?) in between the rows to act as a natural
deterrent. Google "companion planting" for more info.

Another method is to sow carrots in a plot previously occupied by
onions/garlic whereby the residual roots will give off a scent to
deter
carrot fly.

Thanks Sandy I have a few trays of tagetes that were meant for
elsewhere but I am happy to try your suggestion.

Judith

We sow occasional rows of spring onions between the rows of carrrots, and
choosing a resistant variety is supposed to help.

I always thought that marigolds were the companion plant for tomatoes
where
greenfly and whitefly are a problem?

John

If it helps John I can do onions and garlic and flowers if it keeps
the pests away, now the rabbits are quite another thing, time to
reload the gun!

Judith

I was about to suggest Renardine but it seems the eurocrats have banned that
as well trouble is pellets make lots of holes in the cabbages so you can't
win.
Derek

Derek, it is almost a fight with nature, I wonder what Nature is
telling us? My sister's veggie garden has been totally covered in a
cage like structure, it is enormous with a very fine mesh, it even has
a walk in door and is about 7ft tall. She grows squash, melon, under
heat, in fact everything in there and she never has problems with
carrot fly or the dreaded cabbage white. We may have to bite the
bullet and consider getting someone in to put up a similar structure
but I dread to think of the cost. Edward is keen that we use few
chemicals as we can and I don't like food to be sprayed with any
chemicals but it is a losing battle at times.

Judith