Old 27-05-2008, 08:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] ray.cruz@ergonica.com is offline

Default new weeder

On May 26, 6:51*pm, wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/05/26/f....ap/index.html

" Researchers at the University of Illinois are working on a small robot that can
identify individual weeds in a field and spray them with herbicide so farmers don't
have to spray an entire field as they commonly do now. The robot will move perhaps 2
mph picking out weeds by color, location and other characteristics, engineer Lei Tina
said.

"Actually we have a prototype," he said. "We can identify the individual plant pretty
well.""

Is there a question here?

Obviously a robot to ultimately reduce the use of herbicides is
good.

Which raises the question, why not a robot to eliminate the use of
herbicides altogether? Is that a thought outside the herbicide box?
Do our universities have any funding to develop and test products that
don't use chemicals made by Monsanto? Of course, the University of
Illinois folks are genuinely concerned about the use of herbicides,
pesticides, just like the rest of us. Right?

I envision a robot weeder that can identify weeds for various crops
and that can zap them with a laser or even a mechanical weeding tool,
weed puller, weed twister, or weed smasher? This would be REAL
PROGRESS, in my humble opinion.

To spray or to zap, that's the robot question?

Keep on thinking... (outside the chemical box)...