Old 27-05-2008, 09:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Ants in compost

On Tue, 27 May 2008 19:16:38 +0100, Lucretian
wrote:

Hi all,

I've got ants in my compost - is this something I should act on. Am a
little concerned about the prospect of spreading ant larvae around my
veg patch.

Cheers,

No need for concern unless these are fire ants. Turn the pile once a
week and they will likely be gone within a month. I have a pile of
leaf mold with a colony of ants in it and I used some the other day to
mulch chives, and I did it bare-handed. One of my hands was covered
in ants--weird feeling but they didn't sting. Ants are very clean
creatures.