Old 27-05-2008, 10:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Mike Mike is offline

Default wheat berries

We make a loaf with 5 cups whole wheat that we grind ourselves on the day
and one cup of organic white boughten flour. The disadvantage is keeping
bugs out of the berries (We freeze them). This is still well worth it, not
to mention other baking and blueberry pancakes, etc.

Mike

In article , wrote:

I've been using stoneground wheat and unbleached bread flour, half & half,
along with coarsely cracked wheat berries (cooked with an equal am't of
water so it doesn't suck all the moisture from the dough). I amend it all
with a tablespoon of vital wheat gluten, too. Have developed a decent recipe
over the years. I've used coarsely cracked nine-grain, too, instead of
cracked wheat.
I agree that once having eaten REAL bread, it's difficult to eat

the white
paste that passed for store-bought! I also freeze the bread in

its wrapper,
removing slices as needed; it keeps well and tastes freshly baked.