Old 27-05-2008, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Growing Hostas

"Jo" wrote in message
I have been toying with the idea of growing hostas once again (the last lot
got eaten by slugs and snails) but raising them up in the bed somehow. I
was at the Chelsea Flower Show recently and saw a neat little garden with
some plants raised higher than others in some sort of inconspicuous
circular container (not a pot as such - but much shallower). It looked
very effective. It gave me the idea of doing something simliar in my shady
corner bed.
My only problem is trying to work out what sort of container I could use,
either to partly bury in the ground or sit on top of the soil (and secure
a ring of copper tape around) to give the same sort of effect, thus
raising the hostas and hopefully avoiding the slugs and snails.
Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Why bother?

Why not grow something which isn't eaten by the little darlings?

I gave up hostas years ago.

Mary