Old 27-05-2008, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Growing Hostas

On 27/5/08 21:01, in article JtSdnWfY4MFP9aHVnZ2dnUVZ8rCdnZ2d@plusnet, "Jo"
wrote:

I have been toying with the idea of growing hostas once again (the last lot
got eaten by slugs and snails) but raising them up in the bed somehow. I
was at the Chelsea Flower Show recently and saw a neat little garden with
some plants raised higher than others in some sort of inconspicuous circular
container (not a pot as such - but much shallower). It looked very
effective. It gave me the idea of doing something simliar in my shady
corner bed.
My only problem is trying to work out what sort of container I could use,
either to partly bury in the ground or sit on top of the soil (and secure a
ring of copper tape around) to give the same sort of effect, thus raising
the hostas and hopefully avoiding the slugs and snails.
Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Jo

I don't know what your circumstances are, obviously but we saw plants
growing at Rosemoor in tall, wide circular, brick built cylinders. The
Hostas were surrounded by gravel. Something like that on a smaller scale
of e.g. old chimney pots, would be spectacular.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk