Old 27-05-2008, 08:27 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Derek Broughton Derek Broughton is offline

Default FrogZilla

Hal wrote:

On Mon, 26 May 2008 20:29:35 EDT, Derek Broughton
wrote:

You don't have anything to judge the size by, but I would guess maybe
2-3". We had "buffo"? frogs in Florida that were 5-6" in diameter.
Scared my dogs. Believe they were also poisonous. That's a frog.

"Bufo" is just the genus name for toads - the American Toad /Bufo
Americanus/ being the most common in North America. I suspect, though
(especially at that size) that you're talking about Cane Toads /Bufo
Marinus/ - and yes, they're poisonous (I think pretty well all frogs and
toads are at least a little toxic).

There may be something in the skin, but I never noticed any toxic
reaction as I was hunting or skinning American bullfrogs and the meat
is delicious.

We eat things all the time that contain toxins (oxalic acid being the most
common, iirc), so that doesn't mean much. But I agree that bullfrogs are
certainly not very poisonous. I think they all produce some amount of the
same sorts of toxin though (ah, for the good old days when you could find
professional herpetologists on rec.ponds).

Cane toads, though, are _very_ poisonous. They kill dogs...
--
derek