Old 28-05-2008, 11:31 AM posted to aus.gardens
Trish Brown Trish Brown is offline

Default Damp patch

Polly the Parrot wrote:
Hi,

I have a damp shaded patch (bit of sun in summer) where grass has given
up.

Thought I might dig up the remains of the turf & weeds and "plant
something".

Any suggestions? I am in Sydney area.

Native violets (Viola hederacea) do quite well in a damp, shady spot:
they look like little white fairies with purple aprons! ;-D

If you want something a bit more exotic, look for _Selaginella_. It's
one of the spike mosses and is a living fossil (hence my interest in
it). It has very light spring green 'foliage' and will cover a damp area
nicely when lawn has turned up its toes.

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia