Old 28-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Pete Hurst Pete Hurst is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
Robert wrote In message

We have been using adhesive copper tape around large containers of
hostas for the last 3 years and it definitely works as slug barrier. We
started off buying it in gc's at £5 for a 4 metre roll, but this year
found a supplier on ebay selling 3 x 3 metres for around £7.
I have a large sunflower which i recently repotted into a far bigger pot. (There's nowhere good outside to plant it)

The very next morning after repotting it, some chunks were missing from near the base of the stem, it looked a little like someone had taken a knife and scraped two slices off. There were some trails nearby so I assumed snails/slugs.

I bought copper tape and stuck it around the pot, but this morning even more had been nibbled away and a fresh trail was visible just near the plant.

I've read that slugs can move underground. Is it possible that there's one living in the compost of the pot itself? This sounds strange but I couldn't see a trail on the side of the pot, only right next to the stem base, leading a short distance away from it then disappearing.

If this is possible, does anyone have any idea what I can do, other than using pellets?

Or, does anyone know of anything else that could cause this kind of damage? (Other than sabotage which did briefly cross my mind...)

I'm extremely worried about my sunflower. We're having a small competition amongst friends, and it's grown so huge already I can't afford to lose it!

Pete Hurst