Old 28-05-2008, 02:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
phorbin phorbin is offline

Default Gopher Update

In article 254c406c-12c4-40b5-a3a0-8ed790555a17
@m3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com, says...
On May 27, 4:57?pm, phorbin wrote:

What about ferrets?

They use hunting ferrets to flush rabbits in Britain.

I've heard of hunting ferrets used on rats.

The question is, could they be used for gopher control?

The idea is for the predator to kill the prey, thus reducing the
number of gophers. Do the ferrets kill the rabbits? If so, there may
be hope for your approach.

According to one of the web sites I listed, sometimes.

The idea is for the ferrets, (you use them in pairs) to flush the
rabbits and you trap them at their exits. There are nets designed for
the task.

If a ferret kills a rabbit, and they say they sometimes do, it stays
with the kill, eats and sleeps. Which means you're less one ferret if
you can't locate and dig it out or trap it later. They used to tie a
string or ribbon them and follow it to dig them out. Now they use radio
locators to find them.

Supposedly, ferrets can search pretty much anywhere and will explore a
warren quite thoroughly. My purpose, if I ever chose to try them would
be to exploit this ability and make the holes uninhabitable by constant,
random harrassment. I'd reduce the population by trapping the gophers at
their exits and dealing with them later. If it worked and according to
how well it worked, I'd spread the idea, and my developing expertyse
around.

Whether the purpose could be fulfilled is another question since I am
supposing and theorizing. I never thought seriously about ferrets as
working animals before seeing this thread.