Old 28-05-2008, 05:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Are you suffering from heart burn

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Ignoramus17335 wrote:

What also helps is eating less food.

With me, it's usually that cup of coffee in the afternoon
that gives me a hot stomach. Another friend told me that he
is sensitive to tomato sauce (his wife is Italian, but that is
another story) but on a couple of occasions,
when he had a manhattan before dinner, he was fine.

Manhattan Cocktail
3/4 oz sweet vermouth
2 1/2 oz bourbon whiskey
1 dash Angostura® bitters
1 maraschino cherry
1 twist orange peel

I'm sure there are other approaches to this problem. I'm just passing
along what works for me:-)

If you do have an aperitif before dinner, I'd suggest something
that is 17% alcohol or less because higher alcohols levels numb
taste buds and reduce your appreciation of a good meal.
Conversely, if you have burned a meal, creme sherry and
candle light may be a way out;o))

I find most pain relievers and sleeping pills causes heartburn.
Large meals are a problem for me also, especially if lots of tomatoes
are consumed. I really question that alcoholic beverages will help. I
believe that alcohol causes more problems than it helps.

Pepsid Complete and Nexium works well also, However if I take any of
these for a few days, I will get stomach cramps.

Exercise is the best solution that works for me.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

We can only speak for ourselves, I'm not recommending anything to
anybody. To put a finer point on it though, red vermouth is served
with one or two ice cubes, and 2 - 3 tablespoons of it seems to
be sufficient. I understand that many people have led long,
satisfying, and productive lives without imbibing. Then there is
that guy who is unbearable until he has a drink, and the other
guy who is OK until he has a drink. Go figure;o)
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars