Old 28-05-2008, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wilson Wilson is offline

Default How does one prepare broccoli for freezing ?

sometime in the recent past MrMe posted this:
I pulled in a mess of broccoli tonight. I would like to freeze it. I
read somewhere that you blanch it for 3-5 minutes, emerse
in cold water til heat is gone and the one must dry it before
freezing ( water on it will turn it soggy ? ). How does one dry it.
I would like it as fresh as possible and the idea of leaving it out
to air dry after blanching it seems to defeat the idea of freshness ..

Any suggestions ?

TIA

= Me =

We blanch everything no more than 3 mins., immerse it in ice-water (yep,
chunks of ice in there) and then we used to pat dry on a towel, but
discovered that a few turns around the salad spinner saves time and towels.
We used to bag in zip-lock quarts, manually removing excess air by sealing
them almost all the way and puckering the last inch sucking it out by mouth.
Yeah, yeah - repulsed quivers and all, but this just for me & my wife. Now
we use the Foodsaver and can invite guests ;-)

--
Wilson N45 W67