Old 06-04-2003, 09:32 AM
Alice Gamewell

Default Two seed-starting questions

1)I use wet tooth picks to place seeds.

2)to store my seeds,I save old glass spice jars and spice racks and
store them in the unfinished part of my basement. the glass jars are
moisture proof, and the seeds stay cool.

Pat Meadows wrote:

Two seed-starting questions...

1. How do you put small seeds in the little six-cell packs
(or whatever else you use)? Do you use a gadget for placing
seeds?

I shake the right number of seeds into a little glass
custard cup. Then I wet a pencil (ordinary pencil) and the
wet pencil point will pick up one small seed at a time. I
bought a little plastic gadget, but can't get the hang of
it.

2. How do you keep seeds?

I'm keeping them in their packets, but this isn't really a
terrific system - in the case of succession plantings, I'm
cutting a bit more off the packet each time (and
scotch-taping it together). Some of the packets will be
totally gone before very the end of the season!

At present, I'm keeping the packets in photo-pages in an
album - the pages into which you slip a 4'x6' photo. This
works fairly well. But I'd welcome other ideas.

Pat