Old 29-05-2008, 12:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default Gardening on telly

On May 28, 10:27*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Wed, 28 May 2008 09:50:32 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:
*Something* is 'going to happen' to all of us, none of us is immortal
and death can be protrated, which gives time to prepare, or sudden,
which is a shock although we comfort ourselves by saying that it was
quick, no suffering etc.

Or even in between, my mother had a stroke completely out of the blue. If
that stroke had taken her it wouldn't have been any less of a shock or
trauma but it didn't. Instead she was paralised with only some limited
facial expression and minimal use of one hand. She went from an fit and
active 77 year old to being bed ridden, fully incontinent and utterly
dependant on others in the blink of eye. Her mind was still all there you
could see it in her eyes, expressions and reaction to conversation. That
was far worse to witness than the shock of the stroke or her death 6 days
later.

There's no good way for survivors.

True, but death is part of life, one has to live with it not deny it.

My mothers death, a roll over road accident and being scared shitless out
in the Gulf just before Gulf War I have taught me that there is much more
to life than material things.

Thanks for listening, Judith, and I apologise to anyone who has read the
above and is affronted because it's off-topic.

No way do you need to apologise. If anyone does have a "problem" with this
subject they really need to take a long hard realistic look at themselves
and their attitudes. All of use will die, full stop, end of story, no
avoiding it. So why deny it? I must put a bit in my will to stuff a few
hundred quid behind the bar of the pub so people can have a drink and
celebrate either knowing me or not having to put up with me any more.

--
Cheers
Dave.

There goes my thread on telly gardening :-)
I think it is always fascinating how thread drift can bring about very
interesting exchanges - and this is one of them.
Very few people go through life without personal tragedy of some
sort. I am surrounded by people who have lost loved ones
prematurely to cancer or some other tragedy, as I have myself. I can
only agree with a comment Mary made earlier on - and I paraphrase -
that if you don't know what to say, a silent hug is not a bad way to
respond.

Cat(h)