Old 29-05-2008, 03:48 AM posted to rec.gardens
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Hastening decay of downed wood?

On May 27, 11:28 pm, Digital Larry wrote:
In the aftermath of a 4,000 acre fire that spent the last week
scorching through the local mountains

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:/...v/incidents/go...

I thought I'd do a bit more thinning out of primarily bay laurel on
the back hill. Now I've already cut down quite a few trees over the
years and they take their sweet time turning back to the soils and
nutrients from which they originated. I figured keeping them wet and
close together near the ground would help. Any other helpful
suggestions?

Mix with rotten wood chips to inoculate with fungus,
maybe?