Old 29-05-2008, 03:30 AM posted to aus.gardens
Dinsdale Pirana Dinsdale Pirana is offline

Default 'nother question!

On Wed, 28 May 2008 23:44:16 +1000, Trish Brown
wrote in aus.gardens:

I have the opportunity to buy a Talon brushcutter at a good price. Does
anyone know whether they're good, bad or ugly? Is there a 'best' brand
of brushcutter/whippersnipper?

I recently bought a McCullock after buying an Eager Beaver made by
them decades ago and which has given me excellent service.

The new one seems fine EXCEPT that the line feeder is the biggest heap
of crap I have ever used. Initially I thought it was a good idea as
the two lengths of cutter string were separated unlike the old feeder.
My only reservation was that the metal inserts where the string
emerges from the holder were not fixed to the case.

It is useless - the string constantly breaks and fitting it all
together with the loose inserts is a real fiddle. I hate it and am
about to remove the old feeder from my old cutter to replace it.

I had a choice of buying a Talon or the McCullock for about the same
price (mybe $30 difference) I wish I had bought the cheaper Talon it
couldn't be worse than this machine.

Regards
Dinsy

Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum - Lucretius