Old 29-05-2008, 02:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default Recommendation to get rid of small yellowjacket nest

Father Haskell wrote in

oups.com:

On May 27, 9:02 pm, enigma wrote:
good for you. you aren't allergic... yet.

Actually, I've *developed* immunity, probably from
being stung many times when I was a child. Effects
have diminished. The first several stings did indeed
cause swelling over large areas.

the usual progression would be from having little reaction to
developing worsening reactions as one was exposed to more
stings. however, if you went several years without getting
stung, perhaps that contributed to the immunity. i'm finding
that i'm getting *much* worse reactions to yelowjacket stings
now. when i was a kid, it was just a prick & a minor bump that
faded withing hours. now, it's a prick, a huge swelling that
that lasts weeks & itches like mad... (OTOH, my poison ivy
reaction is getting less as i age)
A lot of people don't know the difference, and are liable
to use pesticides unnecessarily. Notice how most people
refer to wasps or yellow jackets as "bees," which are
another (highly desirable) creature entirely.

yes, well, most people are pretty ignorant & proud of it. i
try to avoid them
i have a 62 acre farm, which i try to keep as organic as
possible... although i really need an organic chicken lice
remedy that works...
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair