Old 29-05-2008, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default Replacing lawn and garden path

"A.Lee" wrote in message
+mrcakey wrote:

And the really expensive bit - laying the path. It's about 25ft long and
about 2ft wide and we're planning on slabs over sand. We've been quoted
£900 for this (£600 for labout - 4 days). My girlfriend's thinking is
that
if it takes a pro 4 days to do this then it'll take us even longer. My
thinking is that it can't be THAT hard can it?!!! And we can do it in
stages anyway - dig out the trench, add the edging, fill the sand, add
the
slabs. Is that feasible?

They are taking the ****. (assuming this is slabs, and not natural stone
flags)
For a garden path of ~25ft long, I'd charge around £200, and possibly
less, depending on access and removal of old materials.
My basic charge is £30 per square metre supplied and fitted with 450mm
square slabs. 600mm slabs are slightly more expensive (in area compared
to 450sq), so maybe £35 a square metre.
It would take a day maximum, and that is myself only working.
Alan.

Doesn't this show we have a wind up merchant here?

""WHO"" in their right mind would rip things up and 'then' ask for advice?

Mike