Old 30-05-2008, 02:52 AM
beccabunga beccabunga is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw80 View Post
Hi

I am in my first year of having an allotment and things are going reasonably well. However, despite being told that Broad Beans were 'easy' to grow and a good place to start i don't seem to have been very successful. I put in some plants that i bought froma garden centre and also planted some from seed. The seeds i planted were doing well but are noew infested with black fly! The plants i put in seem to have goeb verty 'leggy' and have a have a yellow tinge to the stem. Everyone elses on the plot are much bigger and healthier and are starting to produce beans. I am wondering if mine were a little far apart and may have been damaged by the strong winds we have had (everyone elses seem to be packed closer together)

Any advice?
I bought some from a garden centre, and they have only just started to produce flowers, whereas those bought from a friend are covered in flower.