Old 06-04-2003, 10:20 AM
Sacha

Default Chicken Manure. Is it safe?

in article , at
wrote on 5/4/03 8:39 am:

Hi,

I've been offered an ample supply of chicken manure. Its fresh off the
shed floor so has straw etc mixed into it and it hasnt been treated.

Is it safe to use on a flower and veg patch?

My mum reckons its not safe. She mentioned something about salmonela.

Thanks for your help and advice.

You need to leave it in a heap somewhere so that it can rot down a bit.
Unrotted chicken manure can scorch roots. What you *can* do with it now is
dilute it well in buckets of water and then use it on your veg. patch and
flowers. A year after we moved our chicken run, we planted potatoes in that
area and had a fabulous crop!
--
Sacha