Old 29-05-2008, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Growing Hostas

"Jo" wrote in message
My only problem is trying to work out what sort of container I could use,
either to partly bury in the ground or sit on top of the soil (and secure
a ring of copper tape around) to give the same sort of effect, thus
raising the hostas and hopefully avoiding the slugs and snails.
Any ideas would be gratefully received.

The easiest cheapest and most beneficial method of deterring slugs and
snails, is to put a layer of spent coffee grounds around the plant. Ok
there's not much food value left in the grounds but it has great moisture
retention qualities, it helps break up the soil, the worms love it, but the
slugs and snails hate it.

Next time you're in town, pop into the local coffee shop and ask them. The
owner of Starbucks encourages his staff to give the stuff away, rather than
have it end up in an infill site.

I mulch around lettuce and I also grow courgettes on a mature compost heap
and so far, no slug damage. I only wish coffee had the same effect with
pigeons!!

Bertie
--
Links to some online UK coffee bean and machine suppliers:-
http://www.geocities.com/cumberpach/