Old 30-05-2008, 01:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
none none is offline

Default Swiss Chard bolting : Still edible ?

MrMe wrote:
On Sun, 11 May 2008 17:38:16 -0400, MrMe wrote:

My swiss chard has bolted some time ago. The stalks are about
3 foot tall. I am hoping to gather some seeds from it for next
planting.

My question is: Can we continue to eat it..? Will it still be
palatable ? I've heard that some plants become more bitter
when this happens.

= Me =

Hey ... Nobody ever mentioned that wasps like to build
their little hives attached to the underside of large
leaves.... I've found 3 so far, and tonight I was pickin'
some of them smaller leaves off the main stalk and
a couple wasps buzzed my head.. I ran like hell ( allergic
to bee sting ) .

Can't wait to cook them small leaves up an eat'em.

= Me =

Those wasps do make life more exciting at times! Last year, wasps were
building two or three nests a week around my place. This year hasn't
been so prolific, thankfully. I'm allergic to bee stings too, but not to
wasp stings. Lucky me!?