Old 30-05-2008, 12:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
George.com George.com is offline

Default Hastening decay of downed wood?

"George.com" wrote in message

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 May 2008 19:48:03 -0700 (PDT), Father Haskell
wrote:

On May 27, 11:28 pm, Digital Larry wrote:
In the aftermath of a 4,000 acre fire that spent the last week
scorching through the local mountains

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:/...v/incidents/go...

I thought I'd do a bit more thinning out of primarily bay laurel on
the back hill. Now I've already cut down quite a few trees over the
years and they take their sweet time turning back to the soils and
nutrients from which they originated. I figured keeping them wet and
close together near the ground would help. Any other helpful
suggestions?

Mix with rotten wood chips to inoculate with fungus,
maybe?

Breaking material into smaller pieces will certainly help. Termites
may find it, although I wouldn't want this within 50 feet of the
house.

Fukuoka recommends burying logs in hole and letting them decay in the
soil. Apparently builds high soil fertility.

As I mentioned earlier, the most basic method for improving soil is to
bury coarse organic matter in deep trenches.

One may establish an orchard and plant nursery stock using essentially the
same methods as when planting forest trees. Vegetation on the hillside is
cut in lateral strips, and the large trunks, branches, and leaves of the
felled trees are arranged or buried in trenches running along hill
contours, covered with earth, and allowed to decompose naturally

rob

Because trees contain so much of a forest's nutrients, burying logs is
actually one of the most efficient ways to build soil. Masanobu Fukuoka,
a Japanese agronomist and philosopher who's considered one of the
founders of permaculture, proved this through extensive experiments in
the mid-20th century (see /The One-Straw Revolution/, Rodale Press, 1978).
http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/p...ay/027497.html