Old 30-05-2008, 12:00 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
George.com George.com is offline

Default Weed control help !!

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
JS said:

I have a major problem controlling this trouble weed on my backyard.
I have sprayed the whole area with the liquid weed control I bought at
my local Home Depot two times but it did not appear to work.

Perhaps,
I did not use the right one.

Could some body help me indentify the type of weed and hopefully
advise me what kind of weed control I should use.

Thanks in advance,

Here are link to the images I took:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...vong/weed1.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...vong/weed2.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...vong/weed3.jpg

I'm not convinced you have crabgrass (an annual grassy weed).
You have one or more types of coarse, grassy weeds growing in your
yard. Stong possibility: quack grass (especially pic #2). Other
coarse perennial grasses that might fit your pictures include
orchard grass and various non-lawn type fescue and rye grasses.
(I'm basing this on problem grasses in northern areas like mine,
as you don't appear to say where you are located.)

Since these grasses grow taller than the your more desirable lawn, it
should be possible to spot treat them with glyphosate by applied with
some sort of sponge or wick (so only the weedy grass contacts the
herbicide).

I removed significant growth of cooch grass in my lawn by hand painting
(with a small paint brush) round up onto 1-2 leaves per plant, or where
there was a clump of it, spraying a little dribble into the centre of the
clump. It is quite labour intensive but quite relaxing on a hottish summers
day. I liked the other grasses I had & they had acclimatised to my soil
conditions over several decades. The cooch has all but gone now & the other
grasses grown thick & lush.

rob