Old 30-05-2008, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mikesndbs Mikesndbs is offline

Default Domestic cats troubles

The RSPB estimates the four-legged assassins kill five
million birds and 220 million other animals every year in
Britain.

"Research shows cats will roam up to a kilometre from
their home," says Rob Cameron of English Nature. "They
can do enormous damage to wildlife."

And there are about 10 million pet cats. Double the
number of 20 years ago.
One startling piece of research found there were 226 cats
per square kilometre in Bristol. That's a truly
astonishing number of cats prowling our gardens killing
small animals for fun, using our flowerbeds as public
conveniences and shrieking outside our windows at ungodly
hours.

Dog owners must abide by a welter of legislation forcing
them to control their pets. And quite right to. If your
dog bites someone it will more than likely be put down.
If you let it roam the streets you can end up in court.
Persistent barking means welcome to Asbo land. And not
clearing up dog mess is slowly — through the use of fines
and better education —– becoming completely unacceptable.
But none of this applies to cat owners who simply buy
their cute-looking ball of fluff, knock a hole in the
back door and away they go. The perfect obese society
pet. No need for walks. It comes and goes as it pleases
and even has its own door to the house.