Old 30-05-2008, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

Default Domestic cats troubles

"Mikesndbs" wrote in message
The RSPB estimates the four-legged assassins kill five
million birds and 220 million other animals every year in
Britain.

Does the RSPB use the term 'four legged assassins'? If so, that might
suggest a prejudiced attitude, which might have coloured their
interpretation of the data on which their estimate was based.

"Research shows cats will roam up to a kilometre from
their home," says Rob Cameron of English Nature. "They
can do enormous damage to wildlife."

Virtually all human activities, including gardening, introduce changes into
the 'original' ecosystems, and the consequences of those changes are often
'unfortunate' (or damaging) for other inhabitants of the ecosystem
(wildlife).

And there are about 10 million pet cats. Double the
number of 20 years ago.
One startling piece of research found there were 226 cats
per square kilometre in Bristol. That's a truly
astonishing number of cats prowling our gardens killing
small animals for fun, using our flowerbeds as public
conveniences and shrieking outside our windows at ungodly
hours.

Well, I don't like cats, either, but there's no need IMO to demonise the
blighters by awarding them some sort of biblical plague status.