Old 30-05-2008, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
endymion endymion is offline

Default Garden pond - past overgrown.

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"endymion" wrote in message

I don't know where to begin. I lost all my frogs/ tadpoles . They did
spawn and I did have tadpoles but they just disappeared altogether.

Perhaps they've left the pond at maturation?

They didnt make it that far. I know they didnt. They disappeared almost as
soon as they hatched. This is the third yerar this has happened. I will
soon have no frogs( if indeed I havent already lost them). There was a
healthy colony there - about 20 - for ten fifteen years. That was at my
count.

The problem is the Iris I think. Its become so dominant that the frogs
were spawing on top of its roots and I doubt the little taddies could make
it to open water for the roots.
I must get rid of the Iris I think but its so massive, I dont know where to
begin with it. I have tried pulling, shoving and hacking and mde little
impact so far.

I dont want to leave the pond too exposed but I know this cant be good and I
have to tackle it before the weeds defeat me. They seem to be creeping up
at a metre an afternoon at the moment.