Old 30-05-2008, 02:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
tstovall tstovall is offline

Default op seeds?

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"tstovall" wrote:

Does anyone know of a mail order source to buy a varieity of vegetable
open
pollinated seeds. I am wanting them for my 'just in case peak oil is
true'
kit.

Thank you,
Tom

"Peak Oil" isn't going to be like a door being slammed shut. There will
be a long period where we are lied to, while prices go up and up. We
will be encouraged to keep consuming, keep creating debt, buy till it
hurts because we are America and our way of life is a beacon to the rest
of the world. We will be told that peak oil just requires more tax
breaks to oil companies for exploratory drilling. Then we will,
unexpectedly, hit the wall.

Meanwhile, you want heirloom plants.

It's easy to see the prices going up and up. The peak may have already
occurred. Crude in 2000 was 28 USD a bbl. 2004 it was 54. 2008 is yet to
come and go, but so far a bbl is up to 137. It's getting harder to ignore
the impact of more demand than supply and that will continue to worsen with
China and the other developing nations industrializing at a rapid rate as
well as the earth's population continuing to increase.

And, the government does nothing and doesn't even educate its citizens of
the impending dangers of a society run by oil, when oil production continues
to decrease. The easy oil is in decline. It will get more expensive to get
less.

Meanwhile, I want heirloom plants. Yes, I thought I asked that question on
the correct NG. There are things that individuals can do to help themselves
when the fabric of our civilization changes and one of the most important
safeguards would be for those that can grow, to have heirloom seeds to sow
and save from year to year and to leave to the next generation. Tell me,
please, why you think this is trivial?
Tom
p.s. thank you all who gave me places to buy heirloom seeds!