Old 30-05-2008, 04:05 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default Weed control help !!

On May 29, 11:08�pm, "JS" wrote:
I have a major problem controlling this trouble weed on my backyard.
I have sprayed the whole area with the liquid �weed control I bought at
my local Home Depot two times but it did not appear to work. �Perhaps,
I did not use the right one.

Could some body help me indentify the type of weed and hopefully
advise me what kind of weed control I should use.

Thanks in advance,

Here are link to the images I took:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...vong/weed1.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...vong/weed2.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...vong/weed3.jpg

That's definitely not crab grass. What you have is one of the more
coarse grasses, what Long Islanders call barnyard grass... it's quite
obvious why you have it in your lawn, you hate to mow. Any chemical
that kills it will kill your other grass as well. It's very easy for
you to get rid of it, you need to mow much more often (at least twice
a week) and mow shorter (set your mower no higher than two inches).
That type of grass has shallow roots, when the ground is dry pull up
the remaining stubborn clumps. If you return to your lax mowing it
will quickly return, you caught it from your neighbors, who likely
also hate to mow.