Old 30-05-2008, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
dr dr is offline

Default what not to buy

Sacha wrote:

On 30/5/08 14:31, in article ,
"Saxman" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

We sell Meyer's lemon trees and have no complaints, other than from a
fool
who allowed his to get frosted. He demanded a replacement, which he
didn't
get on the grounds he'd kill that, too. He just got his money back.
Our own lives in a greenhouse that is unheated other than in the very
coldest weather and it gets a splash of water now and then. It fruits
like mad. Our own Citrus medica and Citrus medica Buddha's Hand were
bought three years ago and each has its third or fourth crop and is no
more than about
4.5' high. If they're allowed to get very cold in winter, or are
over-watered, then yes, they will show signs of distress. We find that
over-watering is the most common problem with citrus and indeed, with
many other things, too.

And whitefly! Couldn't get rid of the things!

Tsk. Biological controls. ;-) Encarsia formosa

I bought a lovely Calomondin, well I say lovely it was lying on it's side
and dry as a bone in a garden centre, looking very pporly, they sold it for
next to nothing. It's grafted, of course, onto a lemon root stock. The root
stock then sent out a shoot, and I hadn't the heart to cut it out so I left
it to grow. Got 4 lemons off it year before last, after a good 2-3 years
of TLC nursing it back to health, got a couple last year, a couple more
growing this year, and I get a lovely crop of ~1lb of calomondin, at the
same time, which make excellent marmalade.

Duncan