Old 31-05-2008, 02:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Difficulty germinating Licorice

In article ,
HJW wrote:

There seems to be a shortage of suppliers at the moment (I was offered a
3inch tall specimen for just under a fiver and told "You can only buy
one - everyone wants it at the moment and it's tricky to germinate"!)

Is there truth in the germination issue? Soaking or scarification are
recommended, I read, but surely a plant nursery should have the
knowledge to succeed. And why is it in demand - has it been on
Gardeners' World recently??!

Finally, any tips on best conditions to establish a clump, please.

I'm four for four on mine. After a bout of damping off earlier in the
season, I heat sterilized the soil, bleached the germination tray, and
scarified the seeds. (They are rascally little things. I ended up
holding them with needle noses and slicing at them with a small sharp
knife. This is after a half dozen went airborne, while trying to cut
into their hulls.) Then their germination tray with lid on, went on a
hot pad on low, under grow lights. Germination took about 2 weeks.

Caution: It should be used in moderation and should not be prescribed
for pregnant women or people with high blood pressure, kidney disease or
taking digoxin-based medication. Prolonged usage raises the blood
pressure and causes water retention. A gross overdose of the root can
cause oedema, high blood pressure and congestive heart failure.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars