Old 31-05-2008, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Tom J Tom J is offline

Default Tomato supports

Ignoramus4856 wrote:
Whenever we plant tomatoes, they grow very big, about 7-8 feet tall
and yield a lot of tomatoes. I am not complaining. (we use chicken
manure and sometimes fertilizer).

But, my question is what do people use that is cheap and sturdy and
can support such a big tomato plant.

Not cheap the 1st year, but mine are now over 20 years old and still
good as new. I bought a roll of 6 foot wide by 6 inch square mesh
concrete reinforcing wire. I cut it into 30 inch lengths, then
connected 4 pieces together with the cut wire ends acting as hinges.
They fold when not in use to 6' X 5' X less than an inch thick. I use
them to also cage cukes up off the ground. I also made some 2 foot
square by 3 foot tall for peppers and my old timer tomatoes that don't
get as lanky!! The rust coat hardened by the 2nd year and no
deteration has taken place since.

Tom J

Tom J