Old 31-05-2008, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Domestic cats troubles

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| So I repeat, what's the problem with collar doves and pigeons?

The first two of these reasons are a FRM (Frequently Repeated Moan).

In most areas, they are THE major pest of brassicas and some other
crops, and are the main reason that many farmers use those explosive
machines that cause bangs from dawn to dusk and are audible for
miles around.

In many areas, they make it impossible for people to grow even
things like peas without netting them (I can't), and have caused
many farmers to give up such crops. That is one reason that an
increasing amount of such foods is imported.

They have been accused of being a cause of the demise of smaller
bird species (like sparrows), but I will let the twitchers argue
that one.

In most parts of the UK, they have no significant predators except
man, because terrestrial ones are no threat, we have no arboreal
ones except pine martens, and wood pigeons are too large for most
hawks.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.