Old 31-05-2008, 06:59 PM
nikkikuz nikkikuz is offline
Registered User

Default Tall roses

I bought my new house in July last year, in the front garden there are 3 rose bush which are really tall - approx 6 foot plus. When they were flowering last year they looked lovely. I am used to having roses and am aware of how to care for them and prune them.
However, my problem is that these bushes just seem too high. I pruned them back as far as i could but the base of them resembles a tree bark, this carries on for about 10 inches, maybe further on some. So for a few feet, there is no grenery as they just look dead. The top is full of greenery and buds ready to open now.
I am wondering if there is anything i can do to treat the bases of these bushes to make them bud again and how to make them smaller.