Old 01-06-2008, 04:17 AM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Charles[_1_] Charles[_1_] is offline

Default 2-Pics: Raw vs. JPG

On Sat, 31 May 2008 21:21:53 -0400, John - Pa. wrote:

My fancy new camera has 2 media slots, one for a CF card and one for a
SD card. Among other options, it also has the ability to record the
same sensor capture to both media with different settings. Although I
have shot RAW almost exclusively for years, I wanted to compare RAW
and JPG on the new camera. To do this I shot a bunch of stuff today
recording a "standard" style JPG to one media, and simultaneous RAW to
the other. These are not separate shutter activations; they are
literally the same exposure recorded to different places.

Now, I suppose that this isn't "fair" because I did process the Raw
image in Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop, while the JPG was just resized
from the file that came out of the camera. On the other hand, the real
question is, do I want to save time and storage and rely on the
off-the-camera processing of the JPG "picture style", or continue to
do my own processing with RAW. While I suppose that I could have
fooled around with the JPG in PS too, I figure that there isn't much
point to that since the manipulation of a RAW-based file carrying
14-bits of data per channel (in my case) should produce better results
than manipulating an 8-bit/channel file with lossy compression that
will degrade with every "save". The question to be answered is; will
the difference in quality be worth the file-size and time of RAW
processing, or should I just shoot JPG and not worry about it.

In case anyone wonders, this is an Oenothera speciosa (showy
primrose).

JD
Canon 1D-mkIII
EXIF Data Included
e-mail: blissful-wind(at)usa.net

Additional images at;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/john-pa/

The answer is -- I don't know. The picture converted from raw I like
better, it's a little darker. If you adjust the brightness and
contrast to be the same, do you see one being preferable to the other?
I have played with raw a bit, it's good if there is a problematic
shot, greater brightness range than the in camera conversion can
handle. There is the option to do a lot of corrective editing before
the conversion to jpg. I used a program called Raw Shooter Essentials
for what little playing I did.