Old 06-04-2003, 01:20 PM
Setzler

Default another seed question

I have some tomato seed that is 10 years old, some will germinate and some not.
Onion family seeds will not keep for more than a couple of years. I mix most of
my lettuce seed together, and broadcast it, so if some isn't germinating it
doesn't matter, I add to it every year.

And I keep them in a big plastic box, in plastic open bags labeled with when
they are planted. as: start inside Jan or Feb. (onions) start in perennials,
start in tomatoes, then peppers etc. with herbs and flowers. Then beside that is
a row of direct sow, early greens, early root crops, after frost crops, etc. All
those are set on a tray which sits 1/2 way down the plastic box, and under the
tray are the big seeded crops. beans, peas and corn.

The box is kept in a back room of my husband's shop which is dehumidified. and
cool.

Talk about anal retentive??

ticketyboo wrote:

How long do you keep seed? I always thought fresh seed was best and never
stored for more than a year. I'd appreciate advice - usually I just buy
fresh every year but it goes against the grain to be extravagant!

ticketyboo