Old 01-06-2008, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rob Rob is offline

Default What plant is invading me ?

On 19 mei, 19:40, Sacha wrote:
On 19/5/08 18:23, in article ,

"Martin" wrote:
On 19 May 2008 17:15:18 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Martin writes:

| | The construction and use of classification keys, based on an almost
| | arbitrary selection of criteria, has been well-understood for many
| | decades, and there were good programs to handle them in the 1960s.
| | Why aren't there now? *I could easily write one, if I could get
| | access to the data in machine-readable form.
| |
| | You'll be recommending that we all install a copy of Oracle spit
next.

| Yes, I always recommend people to use a JCB to dig their vegetable
| patch.
|
| The PC version that used to be given away 15 years ago, would do the job.
| It was worth every cent. ) Scott/Tiger where are you?

Or Rothamsted's GENKEY (a Fortran version dating from the 1960s that
needed something like 32K, if I recall). *As I said, it wouldn't
take me long to write one - probably less time than searching for
the code of one.

The problem is getting the data - and, worse, in persuading 'data
owners' that such a thing is worth doing.

I agree with you.

What? *That Rothamsted is the weed? *;-))

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

I'll try again . . .
I am still trying to identify this plant.
I have added three photos to the link (I now have much more respect
for plant photographers - it is not easy !)
One shows the "opposite" leaf arrangement and how new shoots grow out
of the "armpits" -
rather like tomatos.
Another shows the tiny purple/blue flowers about to come out.
At this stage the bottom part of the main stem has (often?) turned
from green to red.
The third one is, I hope, a better overview.
The main stem, as well as becoming red for the bottom approx. 40%, is
also not
really round; it appears to have vertically-running ridges.
Total height of most mature specimen is about 60 cms.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27310121@N08/?saved=1

Thanks in advance.