Old 01-06-2008, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Anyone heard this before

On 1/6/08 18:40, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| A friend of mine said she boils a couple of garlic cloves , leaves the
water
| to cool and then adds it to the water she is going to water her plants
, and
| says she never has any problem with slugs as.
| Said does it about twice in the summer months
|
| Yes, it's one the recommended methods but I've never tried it myself.
|
| If it worked it would be sold in bottles by Monsanto.
|
| Doubt it. They can't patent garlic. Or nematodes.

Don't bet on it - they have patented neem, and people's personal DNA.

How have they got away with that? There was a report of some such company
trying to patent a plant used in medicine, I think. It was too long ago for
me to remember the details but it failed because the tree had been around
for thousands of years and couldn't be considered anyone's property. Does
anyone remember the details of this? It's so annoying to have it hovering
on the edge of my memory, especially when something like this comes up!

Now, if you invent a method to discourage trolls, the net would be
beating a path to your door.

I suppose a 12 bore is out of the question? ;-)) Console yourself with the
thought that half term is nearly over......

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk