Old 06-04-2003, 03:23 PM
Terry Horton

Default Inexpensive vegetable seed source?

On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 01:09:47 -0500, Steve Wertz
wrote:

On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 02:21:55 GMT, (Terry
Horton) wrote:

On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 19:58:59 -0500, Steve Wertz
wrote:

On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 22:36:57 +0000 (UTC),
(Victor
M. Martinez) wrote:

wrote:
Doubt it! peas, corn, jalapeno, green beans, and any legume would be fruit,
and bananas would not be.

I'm pretty sure bananas have seeds in them.

Bananas are a herb. They are the product of dormat/aborted ovaries.
You don't garden much, do you? You're batting 0-2.

Botanically bananas are fruits, as are seedless watermelons and navel
oranges. Lawyers and grocers may argue otherwise.

Seedless watermelons are a freak of nature, sythentically derrived.

A "freak" of horticulture, as are cultivated bananas (wild bananas do
produce seeds).

Would you call seedless oranges, seedless watermelons 'herbs'? But
they're transmuted into fruit if a seed forms?

Naval oranges - hmmm. Didn't they invent them on Treasure Island?
I guess that would make them a non-fruit according to Vic's
definition.

Seedless (parthenocarpic) fruit exist in the wild too, functioning as
predator "candy", low energy offerings sacrificed to protect the high
energy seeded fruit. Some wild plants produce only a small proportion
of fruit with viable seed.

Either way, the banana tree is considered a herb

Well, a banana tree is an herb in the sense that it's non-woody
(technically bananas aren't even trees - the "trunks" are actually
overlapping leaf petioles). But both herbaceous and woody flowering
plants produce fruit.

and the fruits from such tree would be a seed of a herb, much like
corriander or anise. Think cashews, or even a cilantro plant bearing
corrinder seeds.

You've lost me rather entirely here. Cashews, anise, coriander seeds,
are all fruit.

I do stand by the fact that bananas do not have seeds, and that
bananas defy any fruitolgy.

Whatever floats your (banana) boat.