Old 06-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Pam

Default Sticky pot syndrome

Oh, Maddie - you have discovered the joy and the pitfalls of working with
plants. They all want to come home with you! Now in my 6th season of nursery
work and the disease just gets worse. This week a callistemon and an oleria
invited themselves home with me - last week, it was yet ANOTHER clematis, potted
alliums, a new hardy ginger and a bunch of Pam's Choice foxgloves (naturally!)
Earlier in the season (when I got your ninebarks), it was a new, purple leaved
elderberry, a 'Razorbill' rhodie and a Koreanspice viburnum. I try not to notice
the trees anymore - they are no longer welcome to go home with me - I ran out of
room for them ages ago (although I have had my eye on a new black
eucalyptus...... :-)).

pam - gardengal

madgarder wrote:

Well, I thought I detected an old disease showing tell tale signs lately.
First pots of dianthus stuck to my hands. Then a little red dianthus called
Persian star stuck to my hands, in fact, two of them stuck tight and I had
to pick them up. A pussywillow stuck next. Then a red dogwood followed
me home, followed by a large three gallon pot of Double file viburnum.

Then of all things, a TREE called a Forest Pansey redbud and a Sand cherry
stuck to my truck and came home, and today as I dragged my beaten and tired
body thru the nursery at Lowes where I work, a pot of President Grevy lilac
(a blue lilac.......), a deep pink with deep red eyed phlox, a Espirea
Shirobana Spirea, and a Espirea Hoja Tostada "Crisp Leaf Spirea" flung
themselves into a cart and insisted I take them home with me. They sat
proudly in the floorboard of the car that I was driving instead of the
truck..........this sticky pot syndrome is beginning to clutter up the
middle terraced portion of my slope................I need a good twelve step
program. Think there's hope, Zhan?? GBSEG
madgardener up on the ridge, back in fairy holler where I can hear the peals
of twinkly laughter at my weakness, overlooking English Mountain in Eastern
Tennessee, zone 6b,Sunset zone 36 where I'm so tired I can't even think of
planting the new babies yet.........but I will dream of it tonight and
hopefully by Monday I will have them nestled in the soils here.