Old 02-06-2008, 04:30 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
how[_2_] how[_2_] is offline

Default Water Moccasin in Pond

Galen Hekhuis wrote:
On Sat, 31 May 2008 16:42:12 EDT, "JB" wrote:

snipped

It may not be a water moccasin (cottonmouth). In virtually every
local where the cottonmouth is found there is at least one (often
several) types of non-poisonous snakes that look almost identical.
However, unless you are absolutely sure, beyond *any* (not even
reasonable) doubt that what you see is in fact a non-poisonous snake
it is best to treat it as though it is a cottonmouth.

You have basically two choices: either you can call some animal
control type and dump the whole mess on them or you can deal with it
yourself. I don't care what some folks say, some claim that the
snake is just very territorial, I say it is aggressive. Very
aggressive. I've been chased by one, and they are quicker than you
might imagine too.
snipped

Hi,
You were not being chased, just two scared critters going the same
direction. IME with snakes, poisonous ones _tend_ to 'hold their ground'
within their striking range and non-poisonous _tend_ to split. Don't
rely on this as a means of identification. Both the water moccasin and
other non-poisonous similar looking snakes are there for lunch and all
will bite.
http://www.uga.edu/srelherp/ecoview/Eco1.htm says:
/quote
"Will snakes chase people? Many species of snakes, both poisonous and
harmless, will defend themselves or not move out of the way when
approached. But no U.S. snake will chase a person in an effort to hurt
them."
/unquote
HTH -_- how

--