Old 02-06-2008, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeff Layman Jeff Layman is offline

Default Cotoneaster & Fireblight

Martin Brown wrote:
A friend has a cotoneaster hedge which has fireblight. Its total
demise in the affected parts seems inevitable since it is opposite
the gates of a secondary school and miscreants hit the hedge with
sticks on a daily basis so the bruised bark is easily infected. I am
not sure if anything except perhaps rosa rugosa and bramble can stand
up to this abuse. Maybe pyracantha would but I expect that would
succumb to fireblight too. I suspect to survive it has to be
viciously spiny. Holly is probably too slow growing so I am at a loss
what to suggest. In an ideal world the new hedge would grow to 2m
high 0.3m thick and stop.
My question is what other suitably robust hedging material do people
think would survive in this sort of environment and hold its own
without either growing far too vigorously or losing to physical
attack. Ideally I would like to plant the replacement through the
skeleton of the existing dead parts of the hedge. If the low wall
ever became accessible to sit on things would be much much worse.

Regards,
Martin Brown

What about Berberis? Something like x lologensis or gagnepainii should
prove acceptable.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)