Old 02-06-2008, 06:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
z z is offline

Default Hastening decay of downed wood?

On May 27, 11:28*pm, Digital Larry wrote:
In the aftermath of a 4,000 acre fire that spent the last week
scorching through the local mountains

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:/...v/incidents/go...

I thought I'd do a bit more thinning out of primarily bay laurel on
the back hill. *Now I've already cut down quite a few trees over the
years and they take their sweet time turning back to the soils and
nutrients from which they originated. *I figured keeping them wet and
close together near the ground would help. *Any other helpful
suggestions?

get that stuff they sell for making stumps rot. it's in home depot,
lowes, etc. you drill a bunch of holes in the wood and pack in the
stuff and wet it down for a while. It eats the lignin out of the wood,
leaving only the cellulose; the wood becomes spongy and basically
turns into cardboard.