Old 06-04-2003, 04:20 PM
JNJ

Default cats again

A short time ago there was a thread about the diseases/dangers of cats and
dogs in the house and their poo in the garden. It was a lengthy/detailed

and
informative post.

I was saving it for my neighbor but some how it got deleted.

Does anyone have it or tell me how to find it in the archives? duh.

Sam,

When looking for old Usenet postings, it is typically easiest to use Google.
You can search all of Usenet or just a particular group.

Since what you are looking for deals with toxoplasmosis, give this link to a
preformed search a try:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...plasmosis+grou
p%3Arec.gardens&btnG=Google+Search

(if it word wraps, you'll have to cut and paste it).

To summarize, feral cats (and those that are "outside pets") frequently
carry a little bugger called toxoplasma gondii. It is responsible for
toxoplasmosis. It is transmitted when eggs are transferred from hands to
eyes or nose and/or ingested inadvertently. It's in some raw meat as well,
and survives to some degree in the soil. The primary danger here is to
pregnant mothers -- toxoplasmosis can cause miscarriage.

James