Old 03-06-2008, 08:03 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Garden madness and can it be?? I actually had a pot of ANNUALS to STICK TO ME????

In article
,
wrote:

So you heard right, I went to the local overpriced nursery and
decided that what I REALLY wanted to grow was the varigated leafed
pelargoniums. The white edged deep green one (yes, I have forgotten
the name as the tag is at home and I'm at the library) that will have
a coral flower, and to compliment it in the same pot for textural and
color contrasts (I do this all the time) the tri-color one that
apparently has a deep red flower. great.....the leaves of tri-color
are incredible and there's that awesome familiar deja' vu smell of
geraniums I associate them with anyway.

I went out and got myself three Pelargonium graveolens. All the way
home the van smelled like an old lady had exploded in it. Made a stop at
my CSA and my shepard went to look out the passenger window (where she
could see what I was doing) and broke off two branches. With any luck
I'll get four for the price of two.

I have no longer bean plants.....$
%^&*( bastages!!!! every last blessed one of them gnawed to the
stems.........so I replanted more (three in each hole, thank you very
much) and will dust them with cayenne pepper but MY luck I will have
Mexican rabbits...........or Cajun.........lol........but I WILL dust
the emerging plants with ground cayenne, and hope this lights the
little assholes up good.

Wonder if that would work on my gopher. The little schmuck is nibbling
on my sweet corn that I just planted.

And oh oh oh oh oh , I have tomato flowers!

I have never seen flowers so early. I'm gonna have tomatoes by July 1st,
unless the sky falls on my head first but this is only a third of my
tomatoes.

It seems as if it is taking for ever for the trombonchini and the bitter
melons to get enough size to plant. The trailing petunias are less than
an inch tall. The leeks are the thickness of pencil lead and the few
peas that survived are just beginning to show a profit. I'm keeping the
peanuts under plastic for the time being but once they go into pots I'll
probably have to tent them. Most of my tomatoes are less than 2 inches
and the peppers are 1/4" to two inches tall( I was barely in the
ground by this time last year but now it is 18 days to the solstice and
I feel like I'm in slow motion. A sign of my black thumb is that none of
my purslane survived. Fortunately, a six pack of them germinated with
little effort.

On the up side, most of my herbs survived from last year and I'm in the
process of moving them into larger pots, whatever they are. One
forgotten herb, at the back of my plant table has the most beautiful 1/2
inch blue flower and the calendula can't seem to make flowers fast
enough. I was hoping the garden yarrow would split. I think it did but
the original seems to have died. No luck so far in getting the echinacea
to spread. (Back to the germination trays.) I moved the passion fruit to
an area of more sun, next to an oak tree, and cut a bamboo cane as a
ladder from its' pot to the tree. If it likes the location, I can make
it permanent. A garden elcampane came back from last year last and I
have four more coming along in case I get a bad cough. I moved my
largest hyssop down into the shadows of the cabbage patch, hoping it
will cheer the cabbages on to a greater effort.

Still there are large areas of my garden that haven't been filled in yet.
One thing I noticed was the faeries are more hesitant to show
themselves to me right now, as I suspect that they are still miffed at
me for pulling up stakes and hauling them into the city. Granted,
it's a quiet place and I am seeing signs of flying dinosaurs that I
feared I'd never see again here where I am currently residing (yellow
finches and at least wrens!) and I might have stranded some of the
other faeries that look out over my perennials.......I'm hoping they
forgive me and hunker in until I can rejoin them with their
brethern......

Omens, how quickly we revert to animism when confronting the natural
world. Divination from ephemeral experiences. Trying to be one with the
great mystery. Listening for any voice of counsel, metaphysical or not.

Thanks for letting me share. always listening and wondering how YOU
all are.....and there's a glass of sweet iced tea for visitors,
Maddie, up in the green bowl, surrounded by the Cherokee National
Forest and the Appalachian mountain in historical Greeneville,
Tennessee, gardening in zone 6b- 7a

Mine is a handful of mint leaves (spear or pepper), plus a handful of
prunella, a lemon sliced thinly, and a pitcher of water. Sitting under
the oaks enjoying the wrens and bush-tits, and squirrels that come to
the small offerings that I make to them.

Time to go toes up. House guest tomorrow))
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars