Old 03-06-2008, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stan The Man Stan The Man is offline

Default Recommendation for an effective garden sprayer

On 2008-06-02 16:51:52 +0100, "John E" said:

Last year I attempted to grow outdoor tomatoes for the first time for
about 25 years. They all died from Tomato Blight. I understand that
this was an unusual event, but I am now slightly paranoid about blight
on my outdoor tomatoes this year. I have resolved to use Bordeaux
mixture as required, (apparently this is approved for organic crops,
contra-intuitively) and I have signed up for www.potato.org.uk/blight
email alerts for my post code address (and for my family and friends).
It appears that I have been in a full 'Smith Period' for most of last
week and again today (Peterborough). What's more there is potato blight
in several regions of the uk at the moment.

Anyway, I got out my (one year old) hozelock sprayer and attempted to
spray with bordeaux mixture. That sprayer is absolutely pathetic! The
question is, does anyone have any recommendations for an effective
(reasonably inexpensive) hand sprayer which works? Frankly, I'd rather
spend a few more pounds on one that actually works - so the 'effective'
is more important than the 'reasonably inexpensive' bit.

Sounds like you might get a replacement sprayer under warranty -- try
calling Hozelock on 0121 313 1122. Others have found them very good at
repairing/replacing, even beyond the warranty period. It could be
something as small as a corroded 'O' ring, especially if you have left
liquid in the bottle for a long time, and these are an easy DIY repair
- see http://www.hozelock.com/uploads/pdf/SPRAYER-SPARES.pdf

As for your tomatoes, I don't know anyone who had a good tomato crop
last year so nil desperandum.