Old 03-06-2008, 01:17 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Pond Addict Pond Addict is offline

Default Killing frogs

I had snails in a wine sauce in a French Restaurant in NYC years ago.
They were delicious.

I've resisted commenting on this thread, but the "restaurant" mention
hits too close to home, so here goes.

I grew up in Newport, Rhode Island and, as a teenager, worked as a
dishwasher at one of the fanciest restaurants in the wharf area. One
of the things they served was Escargot. I'm not sure how they prepared
the snail meat, but I do know that every night we'd run the large
snail shells through the dishwasher so they could be reused. (Hey, not
my idea; this was policy.) One night we were screwing around, as
underpaid dishwashers in fancy restaurants often do, and we broke some
of the shells open. They were loaded with little bugs. We broke more
open and they were all loaded with bugs. These shells were coming off
of customer's plates.

It's still one of the fanciest restaurants in Newport, so I recommend
avoiding the Escargot if you're in the area.

Dave