Old 03-06-2008, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Tell me more about nipping out broad bean tips

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| I'm wondering if blackfly infestation is linked to latitude, so far
there's
| been advice/experience from the far south, East Anglia and you - the
closest
| to me.

To some extent. Hard winters reduce such things.

But living in a town makes more difference. If there aren't enough
of both the winter and summer hosts in the vicinity, there won't be
a permanent blackfly population. Same as for malaria.

Are you saying that towns make for more or less hostile condition for
blackfly?

Mary